Sunday, February 5, 2017

Tom Robbins

The title my 'favorite living author' (inactive) has got to be the incredible Tom Robbins. Having read his memoir just a couple of years ago, I believe he is no longer writing his incredibly erudite and entertaining novels. Should he begin again, he will easily get the title without the 'inactive' attached.


I adore "Jitterbug Perfume" and have read it numerous times, it being the book I have given the most as a gift to those I love in my life. If pressed, I will say that it is my most beloved of his titles, though there are other contenders in what is a tight race as I have read and own every single thing he has ever published.


"Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas" was the first work of his I read, way back in the 80's as I finally came of age to be able to understand and enjoy his work. I remember every single aspect of where I was in life while I was reading it and how I then immediately went and read "Still Life With Woodpecker", then "Another Roadside Attraction". I have gone back and read them again in adulthood an embarrassingly large number of times.


"Even Cowgirls Get The Blues" was made into a movie I have never seen but must force myself to someday, though I fear nothing will live up to the book, so I continue to resist.


T.R. reportedly was able to fill halls to standing room only when he did speaking engagements & I regret that I never got to hear him speak at one. I last read of him appearing, in D.C. in 2015, when I saw an old copy of the Washington Post, I suppose in support of his memoir. The internet is full of wonderful reviews of his work, his appearances and his legacy, so I will relent in trying to convey those, read of them when you can.


Rather, I will say that there is no other author that I have ever read that conveys the complexities of the human condition in novel form more subtlety and with greater panache than T.R.
Thank you Mr. Robbins so very much for all the joy & insights you have given me, I can honestly start laughing at just the memory of some of your writing anytime I want to pause and recall. Though you've resided for so long in the Pacific North West, we in North Carolina will always warmly welcome you home & wish you'd visit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment