Saturday, February 25, 2017

Ishiguro

"Some books should be tasted, others swallowed." said Sir Francis Bacon, himself somewhat of a bibliophile.

From the first of his works I read, I was then intent on devouring the entire catalog of Mr. Ishiguro, and I did so in a month. British, of Japanese origin, his intimate portrayal of British life with just enough of the objectiveness a foreign eye gives one, he gives his readers stories set against some of the great periods of the British.

  • In "Never Let me Go", he illustrates a future Britain where people are raised as clones in order to be available to donate their organs to their wealthy originators. 


  • In "Sense of an Ending", which won the Man Booker Prize and later became a movie with Anthony Hopkins, he deftly explores the world of those in Britain who fell on the wrong side in WWII. 


  • In "The Buried Giant" he paints a parable in Arthurian times. 


His range is limitless and every one of his novels is beyond engaging. I can not wait for the next one for I know it will be like nothing before as he has no fear of breaking new ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment