Saturday, February 25, 2017

Donna Tartt



In 2014, Donna Tartt had the most talked about book in the USA, "The Goldfinch". Even being sequestered as I was, far from any media I could read that did not mention it enthusiastically. Being unfamiliar with her work, I resisted and wondered if a coming of age story from an unknown was worth my time. Well, sometimes, everyone is right.

Holy smokes, what a great read. (Hey V, 'Oi Popchik!') As you might infer from the preceding non-sequitur in parenthesis, I've ongoing conversations & inside jokes about this book with other friends who have read it & every one of us can't go a few months without remembering back to it during the course of our everyday lives. What an engaging read that resonates indefinitely and beautifully written.

Incredible as it is, "The Goldfinch" was only her third book and first in many years. The first was called "The Secret Club" and was from 1992. An extremely erudite look at close personal relationships in their formation and execution set against a small liberal arts college in the Northeast, it showed her as a very good writer, whereas the "Goldfinch" would show her as a truly great writer. Though I've yet to read her other novel from the intervening years, I am looking forward to it and know that if the other two are any indicator, I will enjoy it immensely.

No comments:

Post a Comment