Friday, April 7, 2017

Anthony Doerr

Must confess that I did not know Anthony Doerr's work until I read his 2015 Pulitzer Prize winning novel for fiction, All The Light We Cannot See. A novel with the European theater of WWII as the scene, but really a story of how ephemeral life really is. Now that I have read it, I will be going back and reading his previous four works, while looking forward to anything he writes in the future.

Isn't this what awards are all about? Not self-congratulatory claptrap for the established, but bringing to the forefront an artist deserving recognition? Bravo to the Pulitzer committee, for you, have given us some wonderful authors in these last few years.

Full disclosure; emotionally overwhelmed at the end of this book, my tears took a half hour of staring out a window to stop. A magnificent and deeply moving story of interconnected lives set against the harshest of realities in some of humanities darkest times and yet it shows us how we should always try and be good to each other. F___ me, I am tearing up writing this. What else can I say?

No comments:

Post a Comment